Believe it or not, there have been some really positive things that have come out of the pandemic. It’s helped us find a new sense of community spirit, brought friends and families together, and find connection with people we had previously drifted apart from. And all of that has been done throughscreens.
Yes the pandemic has changed the way we meet, chat and make connections, since we've been trying to maintain distance and haven't really been able to meet in person in over a year. That means that all our meetings have moved to online platforms, and using things like Zoom has become the new normal. In fact, it's so normal that many people don't want to move back to in-person right away! Online meetings are more convenient, allow people to get more done in a day, stop the need for lots of expensive and time-consuming travel, and for the most part is just as effective as an in person meeting.
One of the industries impacted by the move online was the mental health services, both public and private. But while the initial impact was wobbly, the result is actually that more people have been able to access mental health support than ever before – including hypnotherapy. There has been a growing wave of people feeling more confident in seeking help online, and hypnotherapy is one of the areas that's seen a lot of growth. So even though we aren’t restricted to online anymore, many people are still opting to continue with therapy sessions online. So, if you’re wondering how hypnotherapy works online, or how effective online hypnotherapy can really be, keep on reading!
Does Hypnosis Work Over Zoom?
Absolutely! Hypnosis works by bringing on a trance state, and working with your subconscious to make suggestions for positive change. We achieve this trance state by making you feel nice and relaxed, asking you to imagine or think about certain things while paying close attention to the comfort of your body. Since your home is likely to be where you feel most safe and comfortable, it actually becomes easier for us to achieve this trance state. Once you’re there, you listen to positive suggestions, decide whether the information shared is useful, and reject it if it isn’t - all while remaining fully in control. The whole process is designed to help you shift and change your thought patterns, and many clients have commented that it feels like daydreaming. Hypnosis really is nothing like Hollywood films portray it, and since all it needs is a therapist to guide you into the trance state and through the suggestions, they don’t actually need to be in the room with you at all. That’s why it’s completely possible to do hypnotherapy over Zoom.
Is Online Hypnotherapy Effective?
Yes. In fact, it’s just as effective as an in-person hypnotherapy session, but without the travel and wait for in-person sessions. In my experience (and the experience of others) there has been absolutely no difference between face-to-face and online hypnotherapy results. In fact, some people feel more relaxed in an online environment, and so they are more receptive to hypnotherapy than they would be in person! There has been a lot of research done into the effectiveness of online therapies even before the pandemic, and a systemic review in the Journal of Medical Internet Research found that 'results indicate that e-therapy seems to be at least equivalent to face-to-face therapy'. To make sure this is the case, I actually track the progress of all my hypnotherapy clients, and you can see some their amazing progress here. Online hypnotherapy has been proven to be effective in treating a number of issues – including anxiety, which is something I’m asked about quite a lot. In fact, online hypnotherapy is often a better fit for those with anxiety, as it relieves some of the pressure of coming to an in-person appointment.
Is Online Hypnotherapy the Best Choice for you?
Ultimately, only you can make that decision. What I can tell you is that there is no difference in results between the two, so you shouldn’t worry about hypnotherapy being more effective in one setting or the other. Instead, it’s all about your preference and what fits into your lifestyle. Some clients like being in the room with the therapist, and that’s totally OK! But for many with a busy modern schedule, online hypnotherapy could be the best options. It’s convenient, is easy to fit into your diary when you don’t need to travel, is more flexible than in-person appointments, and you can choose a therapist you feel will work for you, rather than being limited to who’s in your geographical area. Many people are choosing to work with hypnotherapists all over the UK based on experience and approach instead. For example, I trained with the prestigious Clifton Practice in Bristol, a recognised and accredited Centre of Excellence in Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy, and I currently work with clients all across the UK and around the world via Zoom.
5 tips to help you get the best results from online therapy
The thing to remember with online hypnotherapy is that there are some differences from an in-person meeting. While the actual techniques and discussion might not change, the way things work will, so it’s a good idea to be prepared. Since I’ve been doing hypnotherapy on Zoom for quite a while now, here are my top 5 tips to get the best results from your online hypnotherapy session.
1. Firstly, it’s important that you do some research on your practitioner before you go ahead with online hypnotherapy. Make sure you choose a therapist that you feel truly comfortable with so that you can build a good rapport and be honest with them. This is why I offer a free initial chat on the phone or on Zoom, so that you can make sure we’re a good fit before we start working together.
2. Make sure you have a strong and reliable internet connection. There’s nothing worse than being halfway through a session and getting cut off by a dodgy internet connection!
3. Try to find a space in your home that is quiet and where you aren’t likely to be disturbed. You can just use your computer audio or headphones, either is fine, however wearing headphones will ensure you have complete privacy during your session and also helps you feel fully immersed when it’s time to do the hypnosis.
4. Get yourself comfy. Make sure wherever you have your sessions you have a comfortable place to sit or lie down, as well as space to move if you need to. During the trance work, your hypnotherapist will need to see your head and shoulders to monitor your progress. Being comfortable is very important to effective hypnotherapy, and because you’re at home you have complete control over your environment.
5. Give yourself time to prepare. Not necessarily by doing anything fancy, but at least by having enough time before your appointment that you can relax and mentally prepare, without feeling rushed and flustered. Likewise, try and give yourself 5 or 10 minutes after the session to process and decompress, instead of rushing off to the next thing.
If you’ve been considering hypnotherapy, then this might be the perfect time for you to get started. Online hypnotherapy is incredibly effective and convenient, and online sessions are a great way to access professional therapists without the time commitment of travelling to an appointment. If you would like to explore the options, Please feel free to book an initial chat or get in touch to ask for advice or ask questions.